Sunday, May 22, 2016

Catching Up (Part 2)

This is from our adventures last weekend. We got up early and set out for a day in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. My brother Joe actually came down from Latvia to spend the day with us. It was really fun! We basically just wandered around the whole town all day until our feet hurt, but thats what made it so great! 

This is St. Nicolas' Church---the oldest surviving catholic church in Lithuania! 

Church of St. Casimir---a Roman Catholic church in Vilnius' Old Town

Just some fun shacks we ventured down to...

There are churches literally everywhere!
But, I really don't mind. They sure are pretty!

This one is an Eastern Orthodox church. We went inside and it was quite interesting. Not my favorite... mainly because it just seemed darker inside. Most of the cathedrals and churches we go into are quite well lit, or bright with their architecture. This one was not. But, it was definitely interesting to enter and see!

A mermaid sitting by the riverside!

This river is actually a divisor of Old town and what is called the Republic of Uzupis.
Its an independent artist republic where people think they can do anything. 
Think hippies and lots of drunks. And really weird art... you basically walk into their town center and find (excuse me) boobs and penis sculptures everywhere. 

This is in Uzupis. Yes, it's a huge rocking horse. And of course I was going to hop on that thing. Even if I did need that massive stepping stool.

More churches as we made our way back to Old Town. 



While we were in town we tried some fantastic traditional Lithuanian food! This is Lithuanian borch. 
Its a creamy, cold soup and it is probably one of my favorite soups ever! 

Joe tried the Cepelini. It was pretty good as well!

It was really a fantastic weekend! I'm so glad that Joe got to come down and visit! 
I can't wait to go visit him up in Latvia sometime this summer!


Oh, and I guess heres a little funny story... We were making our way to the City Hall and these guys with flowers are walking down the street. I tried to avoid eye contact as much as I could, but apparently failed. One of the guys approached me and tried to hand me a flower. I definitely thought this was one of those scams where they give you a flower and then try to make you pay for it. Even if you don't want it. But, after he kept insisting, and repeating something, I finally just took it. And we walked away. Apparently he told me I deserved a pretty flower because I had a pretty smile. Aw shucks! Haha I'm pretty sure they were drunk, but I'll take the compliment. And the flower too. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment